5Artz is a dream.
The major problem that creative artists face today is that everyone expects them to put their original work up for free.
You’re an artist.
Want to continue giving away every new idea you have? Or do you want to take a chance, join a community of like-minded artists and help promote a mobile app to sell your short work to possibly thousands or tens of thousands?
It could happen.
It can happen if all of us band together as one. All of us telling our friends, family, third cousins twice removed, our dogs, our cats, our enemies, our facebook friends, our twitter feed-buddies to download the app and buy from us – for pennies.
Okay, there is a catch. You agree to only charge a quarter or 50 cents for your short work, up to less than a dollar.
I’m not going to allow any member to sell for over a dollar, unless they are selling complete works (cd collection, art collection, photo portfolio, eBook, etc.)
If you can sell your short work, say twice a month, to a growing number of fans, say 10,000 over a mobile app, how much are you making for each short? Or each photo? Or each flash fiction?
Do the math!
Multiply .25 by 10,000 and you get $2,500.00.
Are you making that now? Can you put out two, four, six a month? Would that add up? Plus, if sales lag on a particular short, you know it either needs work, or needs to be outed from your book or collection.
By the time you are ready to release your album, eBook, photo collection, etc., you’ll already know that it will probably sell a lot of copies at what you want, say $14.00, $25.00 or $40.00. Imagine having ready-made fans, fans that you have sailed through time with from the mobile app, tens of thousands of fans, buying your CD, DVD, eBook…by the thousands.
Then you wash, rinse, repeat all over again.
Imagine a community that you can reach from your phone, tablet or computer.
Imagine collaborations as a writer, singer, songwriter, playwright, musician, photographer, performer, video person or artist. Imagine as a musician, playing a couple of sets during an online concert, or even going on tour, maybe a 5Artz concert tour of musicians. Back in the 70’s in Ann Arbor, Michigan, they called it “Free Jam”, where musicians would get together and play for crowds of partiers in a huge park, called an Arboretum. We may not have Arboretums anymore, but we could sure put on a “Free Jam” to get people to know your sound. We could do it online or broadcast over the web. The problem is that what we’re talking about could be expensive if we do it by ourselves. But what about doing it as a community? We could have singers, dancers, dramatic arts, all kinds of entertainment planned.
We are talking about the revival of culture, baby!
Help us make our community. We can’t do this alone.
Your generous donation will help us get off the ground and get our community started.
So, what would your money be used for?
Let’s count off what we need:
- Mobile apps are free if you know how to code, but we’re not coders. To keep up with our community, we’ll need to pay those coders $500.00 to $10,000.00 to keep updating and maintaining our app.
- Websites – We have to pay for the 5Artz hosting – that’s only $350.00 for hosting now, plus about another $150.00 a year for security. But, if we get the hundreds of thousands of members we think we’re gonna get, we’ll need $35,000.00 at least for equipment and the space to hold it.
Now comes the dream.
As soon as we have enough to get the mobile app up and working with the website, we will start charging a membership fee for members: $3.99 a month to keep us going from that point. The thought is that you as members will be getting your money back from what you donated in the form of sales from the mobile app.
Once we have enough members, we also want to hold monthly contests, judged by members at first. Once we can afford it, we’d like to bring in professionals as judges to help out. They’ll have to be paid, too.
- Make 5Artz into a Benefit Corporation, establish community shareholders who hold 5Artz, its staff and members accountable not only to itself, but the state and the world.
- Software & Equipment – We’d like to eventually get software for musicians that can be used over the web, as well as software for artists, software for writers, software for photographers and software for our performers to aid in collaborating and creating new entertainment that can be sold by the members who create these special projects.
- Staff – In order to keep things running smoothly, we’ll hire staff to help out for complaints, problems and solutions. By the way, no one, including the CEO will ever earn over 100,000 dollars a year. We could be making 30,000,000 dollars a year. Everything goes back into the community. Either we build a physical 5Artz location in a city somewhere or the money goes back to the members in the form of high dollar contests. If a staff member wants to make more money, they do what the members do. They sign up as a member and sell their short work. Any staff member wants to complain about not making over $100,000 dollars a year, they can bring their grievance to the 5Artz Member council.
What I’m after is to create a community that will eventually have its own member officers who govern the community, like elected representatives to keep 5Artz alive. If politics comes into this, we squash it before it starts.
My dream is to create a community that is still going strong, long after we are all gone. A community that enhances and contributes to the world as a whole, a community with a hand that makes and shapes our world creative culture for generations to come.